Sunday, August 9, 2009

Trailing Life...

Yesterday afternoon I got the opportunity to introduce my wife, Jen, my son, Judson (almost 7) and my sister, Kim to my new lifestyle. Any time I can tell someone what I am doing and acomplishing is great! But, if I can show them it is AWSOME! It was just a quick little 2 mile or so loop. Took us 45 minutes. Everyone laughed, no one cried and little complaining was heard. Mind you all of this was at 5:00 pm.

I have new converts, new members of the Tribe. They may never run with the 'group' because as one put it... 'I'd feel silly.' I reminded her we all felt silly once and some of us still do.

I felt silly around 7:45 am this past Saturday. I'd never run a race... but, I'd paid my fees (and my dues too I suppose) and I said I would. So, there I was feeling silly. Still a bit, or more, over weight. Ill prepared physically. I had my supplies. Thought my head was right. The call was given and we went...

The first few miles were a breeze. I passed the first aid station, no problem. Then came some real climbs. The second station I torpedoed the Gatorade and switched to water. Mile 9 still felt decent having done mostly intervals.

Then the bottom fell out... Something pulled in the outside of my right knee! I couldn't run down hill!? That's where I was gaining time? I was good up til then, under 3 hours and felt strong. What to do? I couldn't quit, I wouldn't quit! I wanted a time behind my name in my first race. Not, a DNF! I pushed on... the intervals becoming mostly power hikes with short jogs thrown in.

At one point around mile 14 my legs, specifically my quads, threatened to call it quits... So, did I.

So, the clocked showed 5:05:56 and I RAN across the finish line holding my daughters hand, I heard the beep! My first race, my first finish, my first victory! They can't take that away!

I'll go again next year. And, next year I will beat the trail again...

For mine has become, The Trailing Life...


originally posted 7/14/09

No comments:

Post a Comment